This week blog is to reflect on two main roles used to enhance team performance deemed as task-facilitating and relationship building. According to text reading these two roles are “difficult to do them equally, and most people contribute in on or the other due to people are either more focused on their task or building a relationship (p53).” During this blog we will look how I relate as a team-member in my job, my ability to engage me team, and steps I take to increase team cohesion and collaboration. (Whetten & Cameron, 2011)
Task-Facilitating
Roles
The
task-facilitating roles that I tend to use the most is direction giving, information
seeking and giving, monitoring and process analysis. The most critical of those
roles is monitoring and analysis. As a scheduler I am working with a program
manager, technical leader, business manager, and over twenty engineers that are
relying on my ability to monitor the programs schedule. I am expected to
provide analysis of trends, and provide suggested solutions for any issues. I am
constantly look for information and updates about task status, and sometimes it
is not a quick answer. I try to not use the urgent or enforcement roles, only
because I do not like when they are applied to me. I find this is only important
when something is critical, such as loss of confidence from the customer, major
delay that cannot be recovered, or life or death in nature. The culture at my
work tends to over use the urgency role of task-facilitating, which makes me
personally lose confidence in their ability to plan ahead and be proactive. I
do participate in several enforcing task-facilitating roles by creating
measurements for success. Each month I provide four different sets of metrics
on schedule health and performance. These metrics take at least a full day to
run, and they are great performance to list accountability at different
levels. There are times I don’t think my
team can survive without a metric.
Summarizing and reality testing are areas that I can improve on as a team member. In team meetings I do summarize the discussion , but I am weak when other trump my meeting. I feel this is lack of confidence and tends to occur when a new process or tool is established. I never really made the connection when people present ideas and I am analyzing their output that it was considered reality testing. I feel I do this automatically due be considered a subject matter expert in the topic.
I do think you have to be very careful with
all these in your approach. I am successful at engage the team as most of the
work I do I am helping them achieve a result, whether it is directly asking the
questions or helping another one the team. I have taken the approach to meet
with organizational leaders and their teams, independently. I designed this
intentionally due to the skill and aptitude levels of each of the teams are not
equal. I do it this way to not intimidate the new employees who may not be as
quick at reviewing their data as experienced employees. I want employees to
feel they can express their challenges and be helped without being embarrassed
in front of their peers.
Just recently my co-worker asked why
all my teams turn their assignments in on time and he has to track all his
down? One of my team members sent me an email thanking me always being nice and
taking the time to come to her area, which is a good half mile walk, to help
her learn about the schedule. The thank you email made me realize why my team
members submit their data on time. I take the time to make them feel important
and use the information giving role to help another person. My idea that is not
in the list of task-facility roles but should be is respect. If you respect people’s
time and make time for them when you are needed, the task facilitating roles
fall into place, easily. My weakness to
the task-facilitating roles is the pressure of time. I find myself getting
overwhelmed at times and feel personally I don’t enough time on certain efforts.
These efforts tend to work themselves out, but I just don’t want the perception
of my ability to be task facilitating to be jeopardized by perception.
Relationship-Building
Roles
Relationship-building is probably my
strong ability due to providing supporting, energizing and empathizing with
situations. As a previous Control Account Manager (CAM), I often use that
statement when working with my team of CAMs. I can use past experiences to
provide future solutions. I have found this as a benefit to help assist in not
electing a decision that may have a future negative impact. I am also able to
identify decision impacts via metrics. Basically if person chooses to make a
decision, I can identify the cause and effect of that decision, upfront.
I would like to think I am very good at
providing support. An example as previous stated, I prefer to pick up my laptop
and go to the work area of others. I enjoy doing this verses setting up a
meeting. I also do other options of working with them via live meeting, where
we can share computer screens back and forth, but never leave the desk. I tend
to do whatever it takes to support the need of the team I support, as the
effort is not about me. Although I am a scheduler, it is my role to help
develop the success of the team and its members. Another example is when I started
this job in August 2014, I was sitting in a new meeting with lots of managers
from different skill sets. I am thinking I am just another person who is to
talk when spoken to. My manager asks me what I thought about the idea they were
proposing. I stated that it was all good and the decision really did not impact
the schedules. After a couple months in the role, it was stated this meeting is
the leaders of the organization and it’s our job to support teams as the
leader. This was a very harmonizing approach, and I also realized my role was
more critical than I thought.
Role Balancing
I do respect the book content
identifying that the task-facilitating and relationship-building roles are hard
to do at the same time. I kind of disagree as I feel if you have respect and
compassion you can integrate the two together. I think you can be supporting while giving
directions, seeking information, and information giving. I also think you can summarize the tasks roles
by applying empathy and harmonizing the team and it’s all in the approach used.
If I had to choose which is more critical I would say the relationship-building
is important to ensure tasks are completed, accurately and on-time. I ensure
team cohesion and teamwork is levied because we get more done as a team and can
help others learn along the way. To restate, I think it is important to treat
people how I would want to be treated, respect for them and myself, and lastly
be organized.
Work cited:
Whetten, D.A., & Cameron, K.S. (2011). Developing Management Skills (8th ed).
Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall
Work cited:
Whetten, D.A., & Cameron, K.S. (2011). Developing Management Skills (8th ed).
Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall
No comments:
Post a Comment